If you like to use Gmail to send and receive your email rather than use an email app that’s installed on your computer, here’s how to set it up to use your new email address.
Download a PDF of these instructions PLEASE NOTE This webpage is more up-to-date than the PDF.
1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Click the gearwheel icon and choose See all settings from the dropdown menu.
3. In Settings, from the tabs running across the top of the panel, click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Look under the section IMAP Access and make sure IMAP is enabled.
4. Now, click on Accounts and Import.
5. From the Accounts and Import tab, in the Send mail as section, click Add another email address
6. In the first screen, enter whatever name you want to people who receive your messages coming from. This doesn’t need to be your full name, just something that readily identifies you or your gite business.
Now enter your new email address. Uncheck Treat as an alias. Click Next Step.
7. Set this next screen up as follows:
A – SMTP Server: your domain name this is the part that comes after the @ of your new email address [2022 UPDATE – Enter mail. before your domain name, for example: mail.gitewise.com ]
B – [SMTP] Port: 465
C – Username: your new email address
D – Password: you will have received this in an email from GiteWise. If you have since changed your password and you can’t remember it, you will need to reset it. (Go to this page and watch the video: How to change the password for an email address that uses your domain.)
E – Secured connection: SSL
Click Add Account.
8. If all goes to plan, you’ll now see this screen, telling you to check your email for a confirmation code.
IMPORTANT: This will arrive in the inbox for the new email address, not in Gmail.
So, unless this email address is currently set up to forward to another email address you use, you’ll need to log in to webmail to check it and click the confirmation link or copy the confirmation code. Log into webmail here: https://YOURDOMAIN.HERE/webmail For example: https://gitewise.com/webmail
9. Once confirmed, your new email address will show in the Send mail as section.
For more information on using Gmail to send your messages, see the Google support page: Send mail from a different address or alias
UPDATE – SEND AND RECEIVE FUNCTIONS MUST BE ADDED SEPARATELY. SO WHEN YOU’VE FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE, SEE THE VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR HOW TO RECEIVE YOUR EMAIL IN GMAIL.
When setting up to send, use IMAP/SMTP.
When setting up to receive, you will need to use POP3 as it’s the only option.
You will be prompted to choose if you wish to leave a copy of the email on the server. While this can be useful, it is best to leave it unchecked if you almost always check your email in Gmail.
If you leave a copy on the server, you will need to log in to webmail every few months and delete the contents of your inbox as what you find there will be duplicates of what you have already received in Gmail.
I PROVIDE THESE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE HOPE THEY WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND TROUBLE. YOU CAN ALWAYS SEARCH GOOGLE FOR THE MOST UP TO DATE HELP AND REFER TO PAGES SUCH AS THESE:
Go to Video Tutorials: Email and Passwords > How to receive your email in Gmail. [NOT UPDATED SINCE 2019. Despite what I say in the video, I now recommend you do not leave a copy of the email on the server.]
Last updated 23 January 2023